Tuesday, May 5, 2009

And She's Dead.....

This past Saturday night Mark and I went to our favorite bar in San Francisco to watch the seventh game of the Bulls against the Celtics, and play some pool. I am a HUGE Bulls fan. The series between the Celtics and the Bulls was one of the most spectacular and entertaining series in sports I have ever watched.
I had predicted before the series started that the Bulls would pull out an upset. Needless to say, I was so excited on Saturday night. I was envisioning my glorified ego stating, "Yep, I predicted this. Go Bulls." Well, they lost. I was pretty upset.
We moved on to our pool game. I was not playing too well and lost too many games to Mark to count. I was frustrated and getting bitchy. I decided enough of the pool table. I started talking to a fellow patron at the bar. Nice guy, but then I realized how incredibly arrogant he was about the New York Yankees. I am a White Sox fan, and then the discussion erupted into a tense conversation.
We rallied back and forth. I of course had to point out the Yankees loss to the Red Sox a few years back, you know, when they had the Red Sox down three games. I let him know that Derek Jeter is the oldest short stop in the league and his days might be numbered. Then I threw in ARod, the overpaid no show in the playoffs third baseman. Of course I asked, "Hey, his ARod's cousin still traveling with him on every roadtrip?" ARod's cousin was the one injecting steroids into ARod for all those years. The banter went back and forth.

His name was Ragu. In my juvenile state I kept calling him Prego and Classico.

Yes, at one point, I realized I was a bit frustrated at the Bulls, and my loss in pool, and I needed to walk away from this conversation.

Once again, God brought me back to reality of what is really important. Mark and I were getting ready to head home. I was tired and wanted to get to bed. In walked our friend Dave whom I haven't seen in six months. I went up to Dave and said, "Hi! Where is Deb?" Deb is his wife. He said, "Deb died six months ago."
I cried and said I am sorry. Then we talked. Dave and Deb had just celebrated their twenty year anniversary together,and then she died. Deb was fifty one years old. She was the love of Dave's life. The coroner still can't figure out what she died from.
I called Dave on Monday. I am having him over to our house for a BBQ next week. Life is so short, I know this, and here I was getting caught up in the Bulls loss, losing over pool and argueing over the New York Yankees whom I don't even care about! I am still in shock that at times I allow myself to get caught up in the trivial things in life!
Kiss your loved one good-bye when they leave, look them in the eye and say I love you, and enjoy your day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment